For detecting and reporting SPB spots from May through October, follow
- Decide if the observed trees show symptoms of recent SPB attack. Look
for a group of dead and dying pines with at least some yellow crowns.
- For suspected SPB spots, determine if the number of yellow- and red-crowned
trees exceeds the minimum reportable size.
- Plot the locations of all reportable spots as accurately as possible
on a map or photo. Use landmarks such as clearings, road intersections,
pipelines, and lakes.
- Estimate and record either the total number of affected trees (bare
+ red + yellow) or the number of recently infested trees (red + yellow).
- Assign a ground check priority to the spot, based on a priority table
(table 1). Record this information on the map or photo.
- Report all information promptly to ground check crews.